japa hapa in seoul

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

the inevitable downward spiral

The job has gone from bad to worse and i am really upset. I have a serious disliking for the manager and we had words on Friday. He said I was trying to be part of the team because I have been insisting that they fix up the crappy appliances at my place. The washing machine is useless and J(my boyfriend) has been doing my wash. He smiles and says he doesnt mind, but I don't know that I believe him. Yesterday he came by my place with an empty duffle bag and stuck all my dirty clothes inside and took them back to his place.
"service."
Still I wonder how long he will be sweet to me. Sometimes guys can be such jerks, but he is almost too good to be true, so maybe he is. The manager of my hogwon said I was unreasonable and acting "child-like" because I insisted that he get me a new washing machine and a new wardrobe. It's falling apart. I told him that if he wanted me to understand him as he always says that he must try to see things from my view too. He just started talking about something totally different and I walked out of his office. He came after me and talked very loud in front of staff and some students. I was humiliated. I had to go back into his office. What an ass! J says that I don't have to take his shit, but that I need to be carefull, too. He thinks the best plan would be to mess up at work and get fired. Like come late and be rude to the students so they complain. He says that if I quit, that the manager will not release me from my contract and that I won't be able to work untill next year. So, I hope some of you reaing this will advice me as to weather J's plan is a good one or not. I am scared.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger kushibo said…

    Off the top of my head, no, it doesn't sound like a good plan. It can backfire and you could be barred from working elsewhere for the duration of your contract.

    How large is the hagwon you work for? Is there a chain of command whom you could butter up in order to go and convince the manager what it is you need?

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger kushibo said…

    Melinda, how did things go with that request you made?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home